- What are the hours of operation?
- Nanaimo Airport is open 4:00am-12:00am daily.
- How soon before my flight departs should I be at the Airport?
- Passengers should arrive at least 90 minutes prior to Air Canada Express and WestJet Encore departures allowing time to check baggage and pick up your boarding pass. You must have checked in,obtained your boarding pass and deposited all checked baggage at the bagage drop off counter 45 minutes before your flight.
- Island Express passengers should arrive 30 minutes in advance.
- What does check-in time refer to?
- “Check-in time” refers to the time that the individual traveller is processed or “check-in” by the air carrier they are travelling with. This process includes both issuing a boarding card and tagging checked baggage. All passengers must have this process completed a minimum of 45 minute before the flight.
45 minutes before the flight the airlines “cut off” or close check-in and will not accept additional passengers for check-in related to that flight. Once checked in, passengers should then proceed immediately to Security screening.
Air Canada Check-in
- What is the difference between recommended “Arrival time” and “Check-in time”?
- Recommended “Arrival time” refers to the time that airports and air carries suggest arriving IN the Airport Terminal building ready to locate your Air carrier and proceed with the “Check-in” procedure. At the Nanaimo Airport its recommended to arrive 90 minutes prior to the departure time of your flight
“Check-In” refers to the time that the individual traveller is processed or “check-in” by the air carrier they are travelling with. This process includes both issuing a boarding card and tagging checked baggage. All passengers must have this process completed a minimum of 45 minute before the flight.
45 minutes before the flight the airlines “cut off” or close check-in and will not accept additional passengers for check-in related to that flight. Once checked in, passengers should then proceed immediately to Security screening.Air Canada Check-in
- What type of parking is available?
- The Nanaimo Airport is a pay parking facility, offering long and short term vehicle parking. There is also onsite parking available for persons with disabilities. You may obtain your ticket from one of the three ticket dispensers located in the main parking area in front of the Terminal and in both the South and North parking areas. The rate is $1.00/hour or $11.00/day for the 1st 7 days then $6.00 per additional day. For maps and long term rates visit our Parking information page.
- Will the flights still leave in the fog?
- Winter reliability was a huge concern for the Nanaimo Airport until the improvements in 2010. In addition to the runway lengthening, an Instrument Landing System (ILS) and high intensity landing lights were installed. This has allowed YCD to have a year round weather reliability rating of over 99%, which is similar to any other reliable airport. You may view the current weather conditions through the Webcam link on the Nanaimo Airport home page.
- Can I take wrapped presents?
- It is always best to take your gifts unwrapped and wrap them upon your Arrival. If you take wrapped gifts you do run the risk of having security unwrap it if for screening purposes they need to see the contents.
- What can I take in my carry-on baggage?
- For a current list of items acceptable in carry-on as well as checked baggage you may call the Canadian Air Transport Authority at 1-888-294-2202 or visit the C.A.T.S.A. website.
- What do I need to know to travel with a firearm?
- Contact your Air Carrier for specific rules and information on packaging and paperwork. Visit this link for more information C.A.T.S.A and transport of firearms .
- How do I book or change my flights?
- There are no direct phone lines to the air carrier agents in the Nanaimo Airport Terminal. You may book or change reservations through the Book Flight link on our Homepage or by calling : Air Canada at 1-800 -247-2262, Island Express at 1-888-856-6260 or 1-604-856-6260, and WestJet at 1.888.937.8538 .
- What are the baggage allowances?
- The baggage allowance, as well as the amount you may carry on the aircraft may vary from one airline to another. Follow the links for information for the specific air carrier. Air Canada | Island Express | WestJet |
- Will the flights leave in the snow?
- In the event of snow please contact your air carrier for updated flight information. Calls may also be directed to Flight Tracker at 1-888-422-7533. You may view current weather conditions at the Nanaimo Airport through the website link to our Webcam. Unless flight delays are verified by your air carrier it is best to arrive at the Terminal at the scheduled time.
- What type of transportation is available to and from the terminal?
- There are many transit options to facilitate the customers commute to and from the airport.The Nanaimo Airporter Shuttle, AC Taxi and Yellow Cab are available. There are also Car Rentals available in the Arrivals area of the Airport Terminal including Budget, Hertz and National. For more information please visit our Transportation page.
- Can I fly with my pets?
- You may travel with your pet on the aircraft but must be aware of guidelines to follow regarding weight and size of the travel case as well as size of pet. As each airline may have specific requirements it is best to check with the individual carrier.You will also need to register your pet in advance for travel on the same flight as yours. Contact Air Canada at 1.800.247.2262, Island Express at 1.800.856.6260 and WestJet at 1.888.937.8538 or use the links to access the websites.
- What if I need assistance in the Terminal?
- Nanaimo Airports Commissionaire and/or Safety Security officer are on site 24 hours a day for passenger assistance. The Customer Care Advisor is on site Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm located at the desk by Customs and may be reached by phone at 250-924-2157. You will also find theBlue Navigator volunteers either at the Welcome desk or out in the Terminal.They are easily identified by their blue vests and ready to offer assistance or direction.
- What if my baggage doesn’t arrive?
- If you’ve arrived at YCD and your baggage is not on the carousel, it is important that you notify an agent at the Check-in Counter immediately upon arrival at the airport. The agent will ask you to provide your contact information as well as a detailed description of your baggage in order to prepare an incident report. For more information visit the Air Carrier’s website.
- Do you have Wi-Fi available?
- Complimentary Wi-Fi is available throughout the Main Terminal including the Departure Lounge. For your convenience you will find four charging/workstations in the Departure lounge available for passenger use.
- Will my driver’s license be sufficient as identification?
- Domestic Travel– As of June 18, 2007, all travellers aged 12 and over will be required to present at the gate, during boarding, one piece of valid government issued photo ID showing their name, date of birth, and gender. If a valid government issued photo ID is not available, then two pieces of valid government issued non-photo ID will be required, one of which must show their name, date of birth and gender.International travel– Valid passports are required for all international travel and all other rules for flights to the United States and other international destinations continue to apply. Be sure your personal identification and travel documentation meet the requirements set by the customs agency in the country you plan to visit. Important: The name on the identification that is provided must match the name on the boarding pass.
- Is the Parking Lot secure?
- Nanaimo Airport has 24 hour/day security on site but they are not stationed in the parking areas nor are the parking lots in fenced areas. Security does scheduled patrols of the parking areas throughout the day and night but it still best to take measures to protect your property. Be sure all doors are locked and if you must leave valuable items in your car, keep them out of sight.